Boredom eating is something I have struggled with for as long as I can remember. I don’t know if there is an official term for it, but that works. When you have nothing to do so you choose to stare at the fridge or cupboard until you realize you’ve eaten half of the food in the house. And that means it’s story time.
Probably 3 or 4 years ago (I don’t remember the exact time) I was awful. I was terrible when it came to eating. This is what a day in the life of Earl looked like.
- 5:00 AM – Wake up and go to work
- 7:30 AM – Buy 2 breakfast burritos on the way in
- 9:30 AM – Go and grab a snack – probably an entire bag of toffee covered peanuts
- 11:00 AM – Go to the cafeteria and buy lunch, probably a burger and fries or chicken strips and tater tots or pizza
- 3:00 PM – After leaving work, go to the store and get 20 chicken wings or 5 buffalo rollers
- 6:00 PM – Eat whatever we had for dinner
- 8:00 PM – Go in and cook some burritos, pizza bites and corn dogs in the microwave
And this was just a slight example of it. Sometimes there was way more eating involved. At one point I actually tracked what I was eating on a daily basis and it was around 15,000 calories. No, I am not kidding… I was eating enough for a grown man to live off of for an entire week. IN ONE DAY!
Suffice it to say, it got a little ridiculous. That was when my wife asked me one night after I had warmed up my food if I was actually hungry or if I was eating because I was bored.
I had never really thought about it before that time. But I honestly would just sit and eat because I had nothing better to do with my hands while watching television. I do notice that when I’m at work or when I’m playing on my computer I don’t think about food nearly as much.
Luckily, I have been able to overcome that for the last two days that I’ve had off of work. I have actually undereaten what I had planned to eat so I think that I am doing rather well. Obviously I don’t want to get used to underrating, but it’s not a dangerous amount.
Two more days to go!!
Exercise – I ran nearly 3.6 miles today and got in all my steps (total of 10,448 steps today)
Tracking food – Done 100% accurately
250+ Steps – Only 8 out of 14 hours today thanks to sleeping in and going to a movie
Sobriety – 10 days and counting
No soda – Drank nothing but coffee and water. Haven’t thought much about soda today to be honest.